Thursday, April 15, 2010

Grendelfish

When I was 19, I wrote a play about pirates.  The basic premise was that a group of male pirates rescues a group of female pirates (who lost their ship in a severe storm).  A high-seas battle-of-the-sexes and hilarity ensues!  (I know, right?  Hey, I was 19.)  Anyway, when the crews weren't battling each other, they were battling Grendelfish, an evil sea serpent with glowing yellow eyes.

The best thing to come out of all this was the logo I designed. ;)  I still think it's pretty cool.

Interesting side note: I designed it in Illustrator 5.  What was that?  Like 1993 or something.  Anyway, all I had in my file cabinet was a printed version.  I scanned it, and then opened it in Illustrator CS4.  Illustrator auto-traced it and then I clicked Expand.  And that was it.  No cleanup required.  We've seriously come a long way.  And somehow I gotta figure out how to get that edging into a brush stroke, cuz that's just plain awesome.


Interesting side note 2: See the graphic at the very top, the one that says 'On the Third Floor'? Notice the F and L are 'combined.'  Now look at this graphic.  The L and F are 'combined.'  17 years separate these pieces.  That is really quite creepy.  Do I require therapy to deal with my inherent need to get Ls and Fs up in each others' business?

No comments:

Post a Comment